8 Great-Tasting Complex Carbs to Help You Lose Weight
If you're working hard to lose weight, you likely also are working hard to strike the word "carbs" from your vocabulary. Don't say weight loss experts with Metabolic Research Center. While simple carbs should be nixed from your daily diet, complex carbs can actually be a great help in shedding extra pounds and keeping them off.
While simple carbs offer little to no nutritional value and only serve to keep you hungry and heavy, complex carbs can actually help you slim down. Because it takes your body more time and effort to digest them, complex carbs help you feel fuller longer and better stabilize your blood sugar so you're less likely to snack or overeat.
Here are 10 top complex carbs to add to your weight loss-focused nutritional plan.
- Whole wheat breads: They pack far more flavor and nutrients than white breads. Use it for healthy sandwiches or enjoy a slice toasted and topped with a little cottage cheese and fresh fruit.
- Whole wheat pasta: With far more nutritional value than white pasta, whole wheat pasta better retains nutrients and fiber when cooked.
- Quinoa: This grain relative is an energy-boosting superfood that's low in calories and packs a high amount of magnesium, which helps reduce fluid retention and is associated with lower levels of fasting glucose and insulin.
- Greek yogurt: It's also high in protein and super versatile. Enjoy it with fresh berries, nuts or in a healthy fruit smoothie.
- Raisins: It's got a bit of healthy sweetness and can be enjoyed alone or as a topping for fresh fruit mix,yogurt, cereal, oatmeal or quinoa.
- Sweet potatoes: Rich in vitamins B6, C, and D, too.
- Legumes: Options include black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils. They're best cooked from dry. If you do go the packaged route, read the labels and skip any with added sugar or sodium.
- Low fat cottage cheese: Versatile enough to be used as a fresh veggie dip or even a lower-calorie, lower-fat alternative to ricotta cheese in homemade lasagna. It's also packed with protein, vitamin B12, calcium and phosphorous.
For more delicious and healthy nutrition tips and recipes, visit the Metabolic Research Center website or call 800-501-8090 to schedule a free consultation with a weight loss specialist at the MRC location nearest you.
SHARE THIS BLOG