Five Reasons Hiking Beats the Gym
Spring has sprung. Why not take advantage of the rising temperatures to switch up your exercise routine? Here are five reasons why hiking beats the gym when you're looking to slim down and tone up.
- Hiking is a better workout: Waking flat gym, track or city surfaces is an adequate workout. But if you really want to tone up, hiking provides a more effective and varied workout. That's because traversing the uneven terrain of grass, hills, rocks, etc. use more muscles than does flat-surface walking.
- Hiking is a change of pace: Let's face it - The view from the treadmill handlebars doesn't change much, though you might be lucky enough to get a TV-screen view. Hiking, however, provides a plethora of possible views. The city skyline, the park, the river, the beach, the woods - Depending upon where you live, the views are endless.
- Hiking can help you de-stress: Studies have shown that spending a little time in the great outdoors can be a prime stress reliever and can help lower incidences of depression.
- Hiking is a chance for some "me time": Need a little time to yourself? Taking a solo hike offers a chance to get away for a bit to think, reflect and recharge.
- Hiking is a chance for some "we time": On the other hand, hiking also offers a chance to reconnect with your significant other, your kids or your best bud. Leave the technology behind and get some face time while you get a workout together.
While many weight loss programs focus solely on diets, Metabolic Research Center advocates an active lifestyle that includes varied exercise as well as a healthy nutrition plan. Call 800-501-8090 to find out more today.
SHARE THIS BLOG