Eating Well While Eating Out
In today's fast-paced and social-centric world, eating at restaurantsis a regular occurrence for most. If you're looking to lose weight or maintain a slimmed-down figure, eating out can prove tricky. But with a little planning and know-how, you can successfully navigate a restaurant menu without doing damage to your weight loss efforts.
Metabolic Research Center offers these eight great tips for eating well while eating out.
- Order water: Downing a glass of water before beginning your meal will help you feel full faster without adding any calories.
- Ask for a box: American restaurant portions tend to be far too big to begin with. Ask for a to-go box and split your meal in half before getting started. This will help in portion control, and taking home leftovers will save you a bit of cash on your next meal.
- Eat slowly: It takes a while for your brain to register that your belly is full. Chew each bite slowly and put your fork or spoon down between bites. Chatting up your dinner companion helps, too.
- Skip the bread: Bread is a common free appetizer because it's inexpensive for restaurants to offer. But it can cost you dearly when it comes to packing on extra, empty calories. Politely decline when the basket comes your way, and once it's been passed around the table, ask the server to take it so that it won't remain a temptation.
- Start with soup or salad: Chosen well, either will help fill you up, assuring you'll eat less when your main course comes. Choose vegetable or bean-based soups over cream-based. Ask for salad dressing on the side (the same goes for sauces) and avoid Caesar salads, which come pre-dressed and can really pack the calories.
- Order smart sides: Skip the carbs like potatoes or rice and opt for a double helping of vegetables as sides.
- Opt for lean proteins: Order low-fat cuts of meat, poultry, fish or shellfish. Just make sure none are battered or fried.
- Finish with fruit: If desert is called for, skip the decadent chocolate treats. Instead ask for fresh fruits and berries minus the cream.
Back at home and the office a well-designed daily nutrition plan can help keep you on a healthy, weight loss-friendly track. Call 800-501-8090 to schedule a consultation with an experienced weight loss specialist at your nearest Metabolic Research Center location.
SHARE THIS BLOG