Always Hungry? Here's Why
Losing weight and keeping it off largely depends upon effectively controlling your hunger. Unfortunately, everyday life serves up multiple factors that can cause you to constantly feel hungry. Here are five of the most common hunger-prompting factors.
- Skipping breakfast: Opting out of breakfast makes one 4.5 times more likely to be obese, research shows. That's because it slows down your metabolism and kicks your body into fat-storage mode. This makes you feel persistently hungry and boosts chances that you'll overeat at your next meal. Start each day with a healthy, high-protein breakfast to help stave off hunger.
- Camping out in front of the TV:Research shows that those who watch more than two hours of television daily are significantly more likely to be overweight. Not only is it a sedentary activity, but it also exposes you to all those snack-pushing commercials, encouraging you to overindulge in high-calorie foods and sugary drinks.
- Burnout at work: In one recent study of eating habits of 230 women, researchers found that those who reported feeling burned out or dissatisfied in their jobs were more likely to experience emotional or uncontrolled eating compared to those who were satisfied at work.
- Drinking too much: Drinking alcohol boosts levels of ghrelin, a hunger-generating hormone. Limiting your intake will help reduce chances you'll overeat.
- Skimping on sleep: In a recent study by the University of Chicago, participants ate more calories in snacks throughout the day after getting 5.5 hours of sleep than they did after getting 8.5 hours of rest - 221 additional calories, to be exact.Researchers explain that sleep deprivation lowers levels of the fullness hormone leptin while increasing levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin.
Nix your persistent hunger with a visit to your nearest Metabolic Research Center. Our weight loss counselors can develop a customized nutrition and exercise plan that will keep you feeling satisfied. Call 800-501-8090 to schedule a consultation.
SHARE THIS BLOG