Eight Great Tips for Slimming Down While Eating Out
In today's fast-paced, social-centric world, eating out is a regular occurrence for most everyone. And that can make things tough for those working to lose weight. But with a little know-how, you can successfully navigate a restaurant menu without tanking your weight loss efforts.
Metabolic Research Center offers these eight great tips for eating well on the town while watching your waistline.
- Order water: A glass of water before your meal arrives will help you feel full faster without adding any calories.
- Ask for a box: American restaurant portions are almost invariable double the size they should be. Ask for a box and split your meal in half before you get even get started. This will help in portion control, and taking home leftovers will save you a bit of cash on your next meal.
- Eat slowly: It takes a while for your brain to register that your belly is full. Give it time by eating slowly, putting your fork down between bites and chatting up your dinner companion.
- Skip the bread: Bread is a common free appetizer because it's inexpensive for restaurants to offer. But it can cost you dearly when it comes to your weight loss efforts. Politely decline when the basket comes your way, and once it's been passed around the table, ask the server to take it so that it won't remain a temptation.
- Start with soup or salad: Chosen well, either will help fill you up, assuring you'll eat less when your meal comes. Choose vegetable or bean-based soups over cream-based. Ask for salad dressing on the side (the same goes for sauces) and avoid Caesar salads, which come pre-dressed and can really pack the calories.
- Be smart about sides: Skip the carbs like potatoes or rice and opt for a double helping of vegetables as sides.
- Go lean on proteins: Opt for low-fat cuts of meat or poultry or for fish or shellfish. Just make sure none are battered or fried.
- Finish with fruit: If desert is called for, skip the decadent chocolate treats and instead, order fresh fruits and berries minus the cream.
Back at home and the office a well-designed daily nutrition plan can help keep you on a healthy, weight loss-friendly track. Call 800-501-8090 to schedule a consultation at your nearest Metabolic Research Center location.
SHARE THIS BLOG