8 Tasty Complex Carbs to Fuel Your Weight Loss Efforts
If you're working hard to lose weight, you likely consider "carbs" darn near a dirty word. You may want to rethink that stance. While simple carbs offer little to no nutritional value and only serve to keep you hungry and heavy, complex carbs can actually help you slim down by keeping you feeling fuller for longer and stabilizing your blood sugar so you're less likely to snack or overeat.
Here are eight top complex carbs to add to your weight loss-centered nutritional plan.
- Quinoa: This grain relative is an energy-boosting superfood that's low in calories and packs a high amount of magnesium, which helps reduce fluid retention and is associated with lower levels of fasting glucose and insulin.
- Greek yogurt: It's also high in protein and super versatile. Enjoy it with fresh berries, nuts or in a healthy fruit smoothie.
- Raisins: It's got a bit of healthy sweetness and can be enjoyed alone or as a topping for fresh fruit mix,yogurt, cereal, oatmeal or quinoa.
- Sweet potatoes: Rich in vitamins B6, C, and D, too.
- Whole wheat pasta: With far more nutritional value than white pasta, whole wheat pasta better retains nutrients and fiber when cooked.
- Legumes: Options include black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils. They're best cooked from dry. If you do go the packaged route, read the labels and skip any with added sugar or sodium.
- Low fat cottage cheese: Versatile enough to be used as a fresh veggie dip or even a lower-calorie, lower-fat alternative to ricotta cheese in homemade lasagna. It's also packed with protein, vitamin B12, calcium and phosphorous.
- Whole wheat breads: They pack far more flavor and nutrients than white breads. Use it for healthy sandwiches or enjoy a slice toasted and topped with a little cottage cheese and fresh fruit.
For more delicious and healthy nutrition tips and recipes, visit the Metabolic Research Center website or call 800-501-8090 to be connected with a weight loss specialist at the MRC location nearest you.
SHARE THIS BLOG