How Peter Pan (no, not the Peanut Butter!) Can Help Reduce Your Stress
"So come with me, where dreams are born and time is never planned. Just think of happy things and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land."
Okay, so yes...this is a children’s fairy tale and has no basis in reality. And, no...you cannot really fly no matter how hard you try. BUT, Peter Pan is on to something in regard to the value of finding your “happy place,” and harnessing its power to physiologically and psychologically reduce tension and stress in your body.
As I’m sure you are aware, stress plays a major role in our everyday lives and although some stress can be beneficial to our minds and bodies, too much can impair the way your body functions and create psychological challenges. Not to mention the fact that it can negatively impact your weight-loss journey!
Meditative techniques have long been utilized as a way to reduce internal tension. Meditation allows you to escape the everyday pressures of life; it calms the mind, expands awareness, promotes clarity, integrates the self and dampens the effects of stress. AHHHHH I can smell the lavender now...
So, how do you harness your happy place? Here’s a simple 5 step meditative technique that will make you feel like you can fly!
- Step 1: Find a quiet, comfortable spot so as not to be disturbed; sit in a comfortable, but balanced position and close your eyes.
- Step 2: Relax your muscles from head to toe. Start at the top and move downwards until your entire body is relaxed.
- Step 3: Determine a place that gives you peace-where you are calm, happy and content. Let’s use the beach at night (my personal happy place) for this example.
- Step 4: Visualize in your mind, this place. What do you see? Waves gently swaying in and out on the shoreline, moonlight dancing on the water. What do you hear? Waves crashing on the shore, the swish of the ocean’s movement. What do you feel? Your bare feet sinking in the cool sand, a warm breeze gently caressing your face. What do you smell? The mixture of salty air and a hint of sweetness of the summer breeze.
- Step 5: Stay in this place as long as you wish. Just be. Once you are ready, slowly remove each sensation and let the image fade away.
READY, SET, RELAX!
SHARE THIS BLOG